Thursday, April 20, 2006

It's a ..................

Hi everyone. I made it back from the hospital tonight, just to pick up a few items and grab a shower. Today was an amazing day! Michelle was induced yesterday (April 19, 2006) about 6:00pm. Contractions had started and once she was 6cm she couldn't stand the pain and called for an epidural. Unfortunately the first one they did, didn't work and Michelle was given a second one. That one worked like a charm she said. The scares part about the whole night was shortly after the epidural, the baby's heartrate dropped to about 50 Beats per minute. Too low. The Dr. considered the baby in distress and decided she would need a C-Section. At this point I was shocked and scared. Then some luck hit us. The heartrate started to slowly climb. The Dr. said, "Wait! Let's give it another minute, it looks like the rate is climbing." At this point I was just praying and kept saying to myself, "Come on, you can do it, climb, I know your strong!" Then it hit....the amazement as the BPM went back up to 140 and the Dr. declared, "We're going to deliver this baby normally!" I think at that moment I shed a bit of a tear....as I knew the time was near. At 11:30pm, the nurse said, "Looks like it's time, we're going to start pushing now." The next step was to determine if it would be before midnight or after. The pushing commenced and exactly 36 minutes after (and with a little suction help), the baby was born. It was absolutely the most amazing sight I have ever witnessed, as the Dr. declared, "You have a baby BOY, congratulations!" I am not a hospital person and I thought for sure I would pass out. I witnessed every minute of the natural birth with a huge smile on my face and tears in my eyes. Wow! It's so amazing that it's so hard to descibe if you haven't already had a child.

Anyway, mom and baby are healthy and in great condition!

Well, I gotta go back to the hospital for the night. We should be back home sometime Friday afternoon as they've already told us we would be discharged on Friday. I'll post a new message when we arrive home with our new pride and joy.

Here are the details and some pictures:

Sex: Boy
Name: Brenden "David" Schaefer

Birtdate: April 20, 2006
Time: 12:06am
Weight: 6lbs 13oz
Height: 53cm


(Click on pictures to make them full-size)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!
We are both very happy for u both. Glad to hear both Michelle and Brenden are healthy. He is such a beutiful baby.
All the best in the coming days, weeks, months and years!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Right on time! I should have been running a betting pool on you kid! I called the birthday perfectly on that poll a few days back.

So come on people... pay up.

No, seriously, congratulations! The first new Schaefer in quite some time. Welcome to the world, kiddo.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Brenden is such a cutie. Enjoy every moment with him - it's truly a wonderful time in your lives.

We'll need to get together to take Brenden and Ethan for walks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations David and Michelle! Your first little bundle of joy - enjoy the time. Also, congrats to Bernie and Shareen - grandparents at last!!!!! I'm printing of the pictures of Brendan to show mom (Marjorie) - I'm sure she'll be thrilled for you both.

Best wishes, Bonnie in Nova Scotia

Anonymous said...

And baby Brenden makes three. Congratulations on your brand new little person. He's just beautiful!

Congratulations, too, to Shareen and Bernie.

All the best.

Aunt Jean in British Columbia

Anonymous said...

Hey, Congrats, you two! A very special welcome to Brenden. You have only just begun the amazing journey!

Dee

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dave and Michelle, I knew it was a boy. LOL. Can't wait to see the little one

Anonymous said...

congrats dave and michelle on the safe and happy arrival of your new born son. keith & kerri

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you all. Best wishes in the coming days. He is absolutely beautiful. We will have to give him a great Agate Rd welcome home.

The Anderson's (Motor, Ang, Natalie, and Kyle)
PS. Natalie will be taking her babysitting course soon, just for your information!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave and Michelle congrat...He is a beautiful baby boy. All the best and make each day count they only stay little for a little while...
Lisa and Ryan